Thursday, October 16, 2008

the iPod saga

This is my mini. Yep, that's right. Black and white screen, one of the earlier iPod models, basically a hunk-a-junk. He was a good bud while he lasted. Let's just say that age hasn't done too much for his physique OR stamina. After a hard days work, he was soon demanding up to FIVE day resting periods!  (That is unless being constantly fed with charging-nourishment... aka glued to the charger in my bathroom - since that's one of the few places where we have an American-like outlet.) Like, WHAT is the use of a once-a-week iPod?!  
 
Even before we left I knew it was time to get a new friend. (For many reasons. Not just the part where we were already preparing my mini's funeral.) One big reason being that 4 gig is nowhere NEAR enough for all of my music. (I'm a music junkie, remember?!) 
 
As many of you know, we left for Tahiti on my birthday. We had a cute little party in a cute little empty house with a few cute presents for me. One of which was (yay!) a cute new iPod video!
 
And there's cute me! (Totally kidding. This is me in la la land. I've looked a lot cuter. And a lot less shell-shocked. Promise.) (But at least my smile is genuine with excitement for this present, right?) Side note: I saw this same model of iPod here in Tahiti for over $100 more than what we payed for it. It's disgusting how expensive things are here!
  
Anyway, you know the story of our stuff... it didn't come for a long time blabbity blah blah... LONG story short I couldn't use my new iPod until our shipment came! (Uh, yeah. I had no music to put on it...) I had to quickly reconcile with my mini, ask him to forget any hurtful feelings that may have transpired and kindly ask him to continue working for just a little while longer. Until his replacement was ready. But he didn't need to know that... Apparently minis aren't terribly forgiving. He didn't let me live down any insult that I blew his way. His way of revenge was working thirty times worse than in Utah. (*whimper whimper*)
 
See the message it's sending me? That's practically the ONLY communication that went on during these last four months with each other. Some symptoms of failing health:
  • Displaying a full battery, then yelling at me to "connect iPod to power" because it's run out of juice...
  • Unplugging it after a full night's charge then SUDDENLY having a random fainting spell. It will cease to work until connected to power.
  • While listening to a song, don't even THINK about pressing another button. It's will die. I promise.
  • Occasionally, if the screen lied to me and said it had full battery when it didn't, then I could be entertained by watching the battery get smaller and smaller and die within twenty seconds. If I weren't so angry I'd find it kind of funny.
I could list more, but they definitely blend together finishing with that same classic message: "Low battery. Please connect iPod to power." When it did decide to be nice to me it'd work for thirty minutes tops. So annoying. (p.s. Forgive the shadow in the first picture - but I couldn't keep the mini on long enough to actually get a good picture...) 
  
ANYWAY. Don't mean to bore you, especially since there IS a happy ending to this story! We're not bitter anymore. I now have a new, exciting, and functioning iPod!
 
 
 
It's shiny silver-ness and amazing awesome-ness is more than satisfactory. Sure the blue color of my mini was pretty sweet, but the silver is just so sleek. And.. I kinda like the part where it's reliable.  I give it a definite thumbs up. And its video capabilities can keep me entertained with the best of youtube podcast, my lone episode of Mary Tyler Moore, and, of course, Dark Knight once that makes it to iTunes! (I guess I don't need to wait in line for a download huh...) 
 

3 comments:

FOOTBALL MAN said...

I like your blogs, looking forward to your future updates

Shar said...

Yay! It almost doesn't get better than a new gadget!

And Dark Knight was pretty awesome.

Allison said...

We are an i-family. We all have our own i-versions, even Sam, the 10 year old. (who has a video and I don't. . . mom's are always last). I hope this isn't hedonistic and excessive materialism, but on road trips, you just gotta have your i-music!!!
So, I am happy for you and your silver, reliable sleek new i-machine!!