Saturday, October 11, 2008

what did YOU bring home from school today?

So I managed to get my hands on a copy of Breaking Dawn and I enjoyed my start-finish-book party with myself. (Opinions anyone? I know I'm, like, WAY incredibly late on the breaking dawn buzz... but the new movie's coming out next month, so twilight should be on some people's minds right?!) Anyway, I was reminded that I absolutely love being stuck in a good book.. and I wanted more! (Mind you, this is before our stuff came. So I was still... without.) Alas, there wasn't much I could do - I have no idea if there's a library here, let alone a library with English books. And then this fell into my lap: That's right. "The Cleveland Herbal, Botanical, and Horticultural Collections" by Stanley H. Johnson, Jr. Wait, come again? This is how it came about: I walk into school, at around 11:15. (I'm only a part-time student, so I go at odd hours.) One of the administrators approaches me and stops, searching for words. (They know I'm the "American" and so they try to speak English to me. Very kind of them.) He says: "Lauren." Me: "Yes?" Guy: "Uh, this yours." [holds out very thick book] Me: [eyes it suspiciously and gives him a weird look] Guy: "Um. Someone give me. It's yours." Me: "Um, no - not mine. Thanks, though!" Guy: "No, someone tell me it Lauren Smith's book. Last week." Me: "Student?" Guy: "Yes. Yes, student." Me: "Well, it's not mine..." Guy: "Not yours?" Me: "No, it's not mine." Guy: "Oh. Take it anyway! Thank you!" What he was doing with an English ginormo textbook/encyclopedia thing I have no idea. But I take the book, nearly dropping it with it's heaviness, and make my way to class with my new prize. I'm still wondering what it is. Once wikipedia couldn't even tell me about it OR who the author was, I gave up trying to learn more about it. I knew I was desperate for reading material when I was actually considering reading the thing.

1 comment:

Parkside View said...

Don't worry--I haven't read Breaking Dawn yet either. But I think I'd rather read blogs than that horticultural book any day!

I loved your completly accurate description of soccer in your last comment. So true, my friend. I could not have said it better myself!