Friday, October 03, 2008

conquering the world, well, a macintosh - so the world

Here's a little tidbit of information about me.  1) I'm way super OCD about my iTunes library.  If there were awards given for the most organized library I would have gold.  Even my wish list is organized to the t~categorized by year, style & priority.  Cool, no? 2) I'm a music junkie.  Therefore this super organized library I speak of is pretty loaded. 3) I'm super possessive over my iTunes.  
 
The part where I said I'm super possessive doesn't mix well with the part where I lost my music.
 
I needed a solution.  And I needed one fast.  Having my tunes on my iPod can only do so much.  Due to some way-too-honest people at Apple... they like to make it near impossible to move things back to the computer. (Like, how untrusting can you get?!)  I do know quite a bit about macs.. but I was stumped.  I would open a few doors only to create more and allow my headache to intensify to the extreme.  Me=breakdown.
 
Okay Lauren, chill.  Stop freaking out.  Google's there for a reason.  There's gotta be something to help you.  It just might not be from apple.com.  Life isn't as dreamy as an apple commercial - and much to their astonishment - systems crash!  It happens.  And there really are legit reasons to want music off your iPod.  Promise!
 
Anyway.  Needless to say I searched elsewhere.  And I found an article written by another fellow human being who's system also bit the dust.  I learned a few new important commands-ness, found some hidden files and poof!  I had bunches of little mpeg files with funny names like ASD4J.  Turns out iTunes is, like, way smart - and it recognized all of my friends.  After spending a full day recovering music I came out with everything I started minus two songs.  I let it go.  Mission accomplished.
 
How's my headache you ask?  Present - but unimportant.  Moving right along.  How goes the other problems?  The second problem was fortunately solved before we even came here.  We stuck all of the docs on a jump drive.  It raised another issue though, that of we no longer have any word-processing software on this computer.  We ordered that yesterday.  Luckily the PC is probably better for Word anyway.  (Can't believe I'm saying that - but it's the one perk that thing has over Mac.)
  
Third problem: pictures.  Sadly there is no easy solution to this one.  I was really religious about backing up music... but for some odd reason it was off my radar to be backing up pictures also......  So all of those pictures are lost.  :(  We have our Tahiti pictures at least, but we're really sad to be missing others from throughout the years.  (Sympathy is accepted in comments) (Totally kidding.) 
 
Once we go back to the states we're hoping to recover the hard drive.  We know it's possible.  But we'll be patient.  And we'll back up everything starting now.  Lesson learned.  Next week I'm really hoping not to be so much of a computer bum.   

No comments: