Monday, September 29, 2008

bumma in the summa - oh, wait, I guess it's winter or spring or somethin...

There IS a reason that it took me nearly a week to blog about my excited-ness as described in my last post. Unfortunately it didn't work out quite as nicely as the day after Christmas - where you get to play with all of your new toys. If you don't know what I'm talking about, look here. But that post, however, was a happy post - and it is a seriously no bueno thing to mix not-so-good things with happy things.
.
I'm reminded of a Robert Frost quote, "Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length." This is, for the most part, true. But one might wish for the happiness to shrink a few inches if only to last a day longer. Please?
.
Let's back track a little bit. Wednesday night we had Mac set up and ready to go, and PC was pushed out of the spotlight into the parent's room.  Frownfully, we still had to deal with the slow with a capital "s" internet, but I could bear with that. I had plans. Back track a little further to the day I left the red white and blue, and I got a new 80 gig iPod for my birthday.  But seeing as I had no iTunes or music to match the iPod until we got MyMac here it was just decoration in my room.  Anyway.  So Wednesday evening I was superstoked to sync.  I was also waysuperstoked to finally (and I repeat - finally) buy Viva la Vida.  (p.s. that album's amazing)
.
Most of the evening, (okay, maybe ALL evening) was spent syncing the pod and downloading my long sought after album.  (Yay! Now I just need to see Dark Knight and I'll be totally happy with life!)  I stayed up a little too late, but hey it was a party!  Sooner than later, Thursday rolled around.  And what should happen but to have Mac freeze up mid-search for USA Today.  Oh...kay. 
.
Step 1: Attempt to quit.  If application remains in stuck position for over ten minutes, move on to Step 2: Shut off computer.  (So far - normal.  Annoying, but normal.)  Step 3: Wait.  Step 4: Turn on computer again and finally Step 5: Continue running normally.  [ERROR] Wait, step 5?  Where'd you go? Step 5?! Come back!!!
.
You get the picture.  Mac didn't like bein' cooped up in a box for five months.  Probably went through some periods of feeling neglected, lonely, depressed, maybe some denial.  The physical strain of booting up was just too much for him after all he's been through.  Sad.
.
Long story short (too late!) - Mac visits the shop.  We have an empty office.  My Thursday was really depressing, and to top it off our internet is at least three times slower.  (One of many things preventing me from blogging.)  ZERO BUENO.
.
Fast forward to, um, Tuesday.  Mac's slumber party at the shop was WAY past over.  Check up complete.  But whatever drugs they had Mac on couldn't save his brain.  Yep, you guessed it.  Hard drive=fried.  And totally inaccessible.  No pictures.  No documents.  No songs.  Not even that one marble game that Richie liked.  Sadness all around. 
  .  
If I were as excited for my polka dot shoes as I was for Mac to come then maybe the polka dot shoes would be the ones damaged beyond repair.  "When things mean a great deal to you, exciting anticipation just isn't safe." - Dodie Smith.  It just isn't.
.
And it didn't make us any happier that Paul Newman died.  :(
.
Tune in next time for solutions to the major problemos.  (Sorry, trying to cram only one subject in a blog at a time.  It bothers me.)

1 comment:

Megan Conrad said...

NOt going to lie... very sad.. However, I think you may have matched Keilani's blog on the this post- you can have the 10 points of the day for creativity and entertainment value! :)