Monday, December 01, 2008

i need to stop being surprised and I know it.

I don't know what it is that keeps giving me electric shock when I look at the calendar and it says the first of a new month. I just need to cope with the fact that it is now December and yes, Lauren, you HAVE been in a fairy tale island for almost six months. Deal with it. 
 
I'm actually here to talk about alarm clocks. We had a humorous experience happen this week, so I thought I'd share it. We've had muchos troubles with alarm clocks in this house of ours. And my mom had been using an annoying contraption that made some sort of dying cat sound to wake her up in the mornings. Not pleasant. In Utah, my mom used her clock-radio thing to wake her up every morning. So... we decided to get a few adapters over here so we could hook that up for her to use.
 
Well... it wasn't explained very thoroughly that there are voltage issues when transferring most American appliances. We weren't aware of this before because we have several "American-type" outlets that we'd been using. (for straighteners, hair dryers etc.) Well, we plugged in her beloved clock-radio and POOF. 
 
And then the smell.
 
Yeah, we kind of fried it. Anyway long story short (Too late!) we went and got her a new 1,200 franc (12.00 approximately people...) clock-radio at Carre Four. Brought it home, plugged it in, no explosions, things were fine. We set the alarm for 5:00 am to wake up for seminary schedule the next day. 
 
My mom woke up the next day, came out the living room feeling slightly more tired than usual... to look at the clock and see that it was actually FOUR in the morning... Throughout the day the clock progressively kept getting faster and faster than the actual time. By 8:30 the clock read 1:30 in the afternoon. I mean, I've seen clocks that slow down as they get older... but I've never seen one that speeds up! It's like on hyper speed or somethin'. It's still wiggin me out. But anyway. Has anyone heard of this weird phenomenon before? We're STILL in search for a new alarm clock...

1 comment:

Brooke said...

So crazy. Too bad it didn't magically give you some extra sleeping time.