Saturday, August 09, 2008

2008 Olympics!

So, I've always been a big Olympics fan - and I've been looking forward to this year's summer games ever since Athens four years ago. There are so many fun events to watch. :)
Our television is supplied with three polynesian channels. We enjoy watching the replica "Family Feud" game show, other educational documentaries on whales and Tahitian hip-shakers, and even the occasional disney movie in French. (Recently: Aladdin. Yay!) Naturally, I was concerned that I wouldn't have a way to watch the Olympics. But, opening ceremonies came, and Beijing made it to lonely French Polynesia.
,
Unfortunately, I'm used to the luxury of watching the Olympics on a USA-bias. Here, every single event that we have the opportunity to view, feature our beloved French citizens, working oh so hard for their "we made it here" medal -- ceremonies not included. Tonight, following a swimming event, the cameras were ALL over the team representing France, for their triumphant seventh place victory!
.
Sorry, I'll stop. But it is kind of entertaining.
.
Luckily I have the internet to keep me updated on the goings on of fellow Americans. :)

2 comments:

Brooke said...

We're so excited too. I would have loved to have seen the Michael Phelps Relay race from the French perspective. The French were eating their words. That was a great race!

Megan Conrad said...

Ah... so I have to kind of chuckle at the Men's Relay in swimming French vs. Americans... what's was that France? "We will crush the Americans?".... LOL