Monday, August 25, 2008

Hot Accent?

Through much hardship and turmoil, I have now officially completed a full week of school and early morning seminary. Go me! Was it hard? No.... [sarcasm alert] since when was waking up at 4:45 considered difficult? But th-th-that-that don't kill me... can only make me stronger! This is the part where everyone starts thinking: "Now WHY is she complaining about a pathetic three-day-a-week school schedule?!" What a good question! I am sure I would be asking the same thing if I weren't here. But it's kind of one of those things that cannot be understood unless you are actually experiencing it for yourself. Whatever I had learned about school in Springville or Minnesota... can be forgotten while making my way in this French-influenced parochial system. Some cultural differences cannot be ignored. But let's move on. My entertainment comes from listening to students trip over names like "Manhatten" in my English class. We've been reading about New York in our text book, and during class my teacher asked me to read three or four paragraphs. I was also instructed to read it "with my accent" ...Um, sure? So I did. I was fairly confident I hadn't forgotten how to read. Once I had finished, the entire class acted as if I had just completed a marathon without breaking a sweat. The student in front of me turned around and said (in English even) "That was AWESOME!!" Light applause, lots of "wows" and comments of a "beautiful accent" were also made. I couldn't help but laugh. It never really occurred to me that my Midwestern United States upbringing would bump me to the "hot-accent" department in countries like Tahiti. (Tears streaming) I would like to thank the academy for this wonderful honor as well as my agent, my parents and my inspirations Gerard Butler, Russell Crowe, Hugh Jackman and Colin Firth. Thank you!!!!!! xoxo

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Very hot accent indeed Lauren. You're the best.

Anonymous said...

"Awesome" girl, keep up that accent thingy; he says with tongue in cheek.

Uncle Dave, Bonita Springs, Florida

Megan Conrad said...

That's right... now you've just got to bring me back a guy with a hot accent for me... and uh, hot in general wouldn't hurt either. LOL:)