Friday, July 04, 2008

First Impressions: TAHITI

After a wonderful visit in New Zealand, it was time to go to our new home. Throughout my life, the discussion of Tahiti has always been present. My dad served his mission and it has always been dear to his heart. But no matter how much I have heard about this place, NOTHING could have prepared me for what I met upon arrival. Immediately walking out I could feel the humidity. It was if there was a light mist of water being sprayed directly in front of me. Walking into the airport, the ladies were given a small flower to stick behind their ear, and joyful music was being played with different Tahitian drums. We got our baggage, and proceeded down to where we were to be picked up. I remember smelling flowers. I soon found out why. There had to have been thirty people ready to greet us. Each person came up to us with a beautifully flowered "hei" to give to us. I was draped in smell-good-beautiful-ness. As I met people we all hugged and "beezed." It was so wonderful to meet so many good church people that we would be working with for the next couple of years.
The very tired us.
Our greeters. The Mackay's, the Lewis', the Faerber's, the Tarati's (former Tahitian Mission President) Elder Kirk and Elder Cummings (assistants)
Pictures courtesy of my sister Brooke, who happened upon these through the MTC. Thanks!

3 comments:

Tahiti Sweety said...

Ooh! Jealous! You have no idea... Our stupid poppies out in front can't even stay alive because of the heat, but you guys have beautiful smell-goodness:) Sorry, what is "beezed." Know that it might just be hugged, but I'm just a little slow.

Tahiti Chick said...

Beezed is where you kiss someone on both cheeks. Kind of. :)

Megan Conrad said...

Ah! So that is what all of this smell-goodness looked like:)