Monday, July 14, 2008

Roosters, Mosquitos and dogs... oh my!

So yesterday, I was noticing my legs were a bit darker than when I left. Happy at the prospect that I was getting some color, I soon realized that the red I was seeing was really just a jumble of bug bites meshed together in clumps. I wasn't terribly pleased. Living in Minnesota, I was used to these little tiny monsters we call mosquitos. They were everywhere with the humidity. Then, moving to dry Utah, they somehow knew I didn't appreciate them, so they never bit me. I probably got ten bites in all of my time in Utah. Tahiti: I swear I'm wearing a sign that says: "My blood is sweet! Sweet like cupcakes! Come and get it, it's free!" If dates came around half as often as these buggers did then I would be busy every night for the next 27 years. And it's not just mosquitos. There are tons of little critters running around. The Mackay's, (genealogy missionaries) both got bit by centipedes, one of them on the lip. Yeah, no bueno. Although I terribly miss our beloved dog Allie, I don't think she would like a lot of the goings on here. Particularly the activities of those that are canines. Dogs are absolutely everywhere! Doing what? Nothing. They just lay in the road, assuming that you are a kind and skilled driver and won't hit them. My dad has often used the phrase: "mangy old mutt..."
Okay, so you also have to know that when I took this picture, it was a very warm day, and the ground was indescribably hot for this dog to just be laying there...
Oh, yes, we also have a rooster. We dubbed him the name of King Henry Franklin III. He tells us when it's midnight (or any other time of day), talks to us when we eat lunch, informs us that the chickens have arrived, informs us that the chickens have left, says hi for ten minutes when we come home, and serenades us while we play games. He and his posterity will continue to live with us for the three years I'm sure.
.

2 comments:

Megan Conrad said...

Oh good! Could you please sign me up for this next 27 years of busy-ness program? Sounds pretty nice:)

Megan Conrad said...

Haha, the dog thing is the best! You'll have to take some video of King Henry Franklin for us:) Did you give him that name?