Monday, July 07, 2008

The Tallest and the Palest

Yesterday, I nervously went to church for the first time. Well, I've been to church before. Just not here. Here are some similarities and differences to Springville. Or to any other church I've been to in my life. 1. It was at 11:30, not 9:00. A plus in my book. 2. The center of the building is open. A courtyard with coconut trees. And grass. You go outside to go to your classrooms, etc. 3. No prelude music. I don't know if this is an every time thing or not. But it was kind of eery to walk in ten minutes early, no music and everyone sitting silently in their seats. 4. They don't speak English 5. They don't sing in English. 6. They don't think in English. 7. They don't cough or laugh in English. Anyway... 8. They began the meeting in French - where I could pick a few words out here and there. But randomly they will switch to the language that just sounds like a lot of "aaaauuuuaaa" aka Tahitian. You lost me there. 9. The songs were somewhat eratic. Sometimes they'd sing in French, sometimes Tahitian. Sometimes both. 10. The Sacrament bread was a baguette! 11. I don't know if it's just because I can't understand what they're saying - but it sure seemed like their testimonies are a lot faster spoken than ours. Idk... 12. I didn't know anyone. 13. Did I mention it wasn't in English? 14. I was the tallest, and the palest. Sort of backwards from what i'm used to haha. :) 15. The Young Womens is about an eighth of the size I'm used to. This week anyway. Idk if it's that way all the time. 16. I was probably the only blonde one in the entire building. Not that I'm blonde or anything. It was funny, there was a baby boy who just kept staring at me. Probably because of my hair. :) 17. To go along with that, Tahitian children are the cutest things you've ever seen. Cute chubby dark children. They're adorable! 18. Everything was in French! Did I say that already? Anyway, I met a very nice girl. Her name is Tatiana. She is the president of the Laurels, and she spoke quite a bit of English. (YAY!) She took me to class and explained what was going on and things. I got to know her pretty well by the end of the day. I am glad that there's at least one person I can communicate with! All in all, successful. Scary, but I think I can do it again.

4 comments:

Parkside View said...

Perhaps you will get to be the one providing the prelude music eventually!

Parkside View said...

...that way you could play the music in English!

Tahiti Sweety said...

haha:) Look on the bright side, finally you are ultra cool for having pale whitish skin. Love you:) MIss you!

Megan Conrad said...

question...do you have more flip flops coming? Do you want me to send you some?