Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Takaroa

Sometimes I can’t believe that the experiences I am writing about are actually mine. We had quite the weekend! There was a Youth Conference in Takaroa, an island in the Tuamotus, which we were invited to attend. These islands are actually atolls - meaning they are donut shaped islands built on coral with a lagoon in the middle. On the island of Tahiti, it is made up of tall mountains, but on Takaroa, it is all flat. It is definitely a more primitive area than I am used to. If you want more detail, check out the movie: “The Other Side Of Heaven.” Bugs and all. (Speaking of which, my legs are again spotted with at least fifty bug bites…) This was definitely an opportunity to exercise my French. (As little as it may be.) Everyone was so friendly, but very few spoke any English. I was also greeted with a welcome dance from one of the Tahitian girls. I never realized that in order to live here, you have to literally be able to shake your hips like a polaroid picture. :) On Sunday, I also gave my first talk. I had my lengthy novel written out beforehand, and my dad translated it for me. I stood up there and gave my 26.2 second testimony, in a slur of poorly pronounced words that COULD have been French. Although, I wouldn’t know, because even I didn’t know what I was saying! Some called it courage, while other expressions had “Stupid!” written all over them. That evening, I was again approached with a: “Um, the young women president would like you to give a talk tonight also.” Me, open mouthed, kind of nodded my head in the affirmative. I had to quickly come up with something to say before the end… (I swear the meeting went faster than usual!) I said this one in English, and my Dad stood up there with me to translate. I still am not really sure what I said. Returning, I actually did have the feeling that I was coming home. My shower and clean water are home to me anyway... This is the Brown’s, the family we stayed with Our food… :) A girl, Heitiareii, teaching me to weave coconut leaves I liked this picture of me and my dad Me, on the reef Oh, I almost forgot! (This is for my nephew, Richie, who absolutely adores sea creatures. He will be excited.) We saw a shark! A dead shark, but a shark! We took a boat ride to the other side of the atoll, and found one on the reef. Pretty awesome. :)

3 comments:

chelz2crazy said...

Ok...NO FAIR!!! It is way to pretty there for me not to be there with you! The pics look like computer screensavers that are uploaded onto your computer so you can see the places you will never be able to see...but you're there!! So jealous!!

Megan Conrad said...

Oh psych!!!!! Sea creatures!!!!! Soo... exciting:) Richie will be stoked!:) Lysa Lou says Hello starshine:) Love ya:) Miss ya:)

Brooke said...

Well, you can guess that we've looked at this picture MANY times in the past few days. Thanks so much for making his dream come true!!