Friday, November 14, 2008

cabin fever

My parents went to the Cook Islands and New Zealand this week. Without me. Yeah, I can't believe it either. The Lewis' (office missionary couple) stayed with me while the parents were partying in NZ. 
 
What I dig about being home alone is that I can focus. I'm not sure what external force pushes me to get things done (or what pushes me back when not alone...) but things get done! I am a serious list-maker and I've gone through at least a dozen sticky notes with checklists or just random notes to myself of things that need to be accomplished. I like to stay busy, even if busy doesn't get out too far from your house. {speaking of lists... check this out}
 
my week (such as it was) consisted of: 
=>>Organizing. I like all my ducks in a row, and some ducks needed straightening out. I organized all of my computer files, went through miscellaneous papers, cleaned my room, updated documents, continued to organize my iTunes library, arrange and edit pictures etc. etc.
=>>Catching up on my reading of the BOOK OF MORMON. We are reading it as a mission, highlighting everything pertaining to Christ (his names, attributes and words.) The goal is to finish before Christmas. I have already felt so blessed for participating - it's amazing how personal some of the chapters can mean to you. I'm reading it in French (with a little help from my English set) which is another little booster in the language department.
=>>Schoolness. Yes, mom, life wasn't all fun and games while you were gone. I did do homework. Go me.
=>>Playing the Piano. There are few things that I love more than playing the piano in an empty house. It's relaxing and a really good outlet for me. I've been playing the piano for about 12 years and it's been so fun to improve this talent from a new angle with a new teacher at a nearby conservatory. (aka I've had to freshen up on my do-re-mi's)
=>>Listening to music. So that's not really accomplishing anything.... but I still enjoy it! I'm way into David Archuleta's new album that came out this week.
=>>Calling home. I am in love with our VONAGE phone. It's an internet phone that allows us to keep our former Utah number... so we can call home at anytime with just a monthly payment - no long distance charging. I've been so grateful to stay in touch with family and close friends. The sound isn't perfect (it's been compared to 'underwater' 'a tube' 'morse code' and other such nuisances) but it's better than nothing. I've also been able to catch up on some emails so people don't think I've forgotten them. :) Yes.
=>>Watching movies with the Lewis'. Yay!!!
=>>Writing. Believe it or not I've been enjoying catching up on some journal writing, and just writing random things in any of my, like, fifty notebooks. (It just took me a while to transfer the writing from notebooks to internet, eh?)
 
Those are just the things occupying the times I was alone. It's been really fun chilling with the Lewis' and getting to know them better. On Monday we made it around to Tahiti-iti for a good view of the other part of the main island and a fun picnic. *see map below
p.s. If you're wondering why my picture is a lame-o internet map of Tahiti it might be because my parents took our camera to NZ. Astonishing, I know. Why EVER would they want a camera while there - I mean, come on!!
 
We also made it over to the Paul Gauguin museum, and the Botanical Gardens where we felt like we were in Jurassic Park. So cool. (Again: no pics. Sorry guyz) 
 
the no bueno things of the week:
=>>Seminary started again. Oh fun. And the two alarms I set decided to be bipolar on me and NOT go off two of those days. (Sister Lewis I'm REALLY sorry you had to wake me up....)
=>>I have major cabin fever. On one of the days I literally had to go outside and run a lap around the house. 
=>>I've hurt my toe - and it's turning all purpley on me. I'm not happy about this, and it's messing up my basketball business. And it just hurts to walk in general so that's no bueno.
=>>My teacher decided not to come to school. I was actually looking forward to making it back to school and I hardly had it. (The other day my teacher left halfway through class..) 
=>>And my piano teacher was unable to make it to piano also. (Can't you tell I just wanted to get out of the house?!)
=>>Um... I was all alone? I'd catch myself talking to myself every once in a while and think I was going crazy. 
It's good for me to have a week like this every once in a while so I can feel like I've accomplished something. But somehow staying home alone in Tahiti isn't quite as fun as staying home alone in Utah. It's funner to eat cookies and potato chips with a friend. (yeah meg i told you i wanted to call you so we could raid the fridge...)  But... day only lasts so long, and once night rolled around and the Lewis' came home things were great fun and I enjoyed my time with them immensely! Thanks SO MUCH ELDER AND SISTER LEWIS! You guys rock my socks :)
Seriously, I've started this post like thirty times only to think of something else that needed to get done or something or I just got distracted. But now I think I'm finally going to punch the [publish post] button and just let people read my jumbled thoughts. 5...4...3...zero...yeah.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Lauren, I love reading your blog. I can't wait to listen to the DA album. Missing you!!

Parkside View said...

That's too bad you didn't get to go. The Cook Islands were the locale of my all time favorite episode of Survivor. You know... Survivor: Cook Islands?! But you got to do some cool things, too. I once read the BOM marking references of Christ and I was amazed how red my "flopy copy" turned out when I finished (and how short my marking pencil had become)!

Parkside View said...

Oh, and your new profile description is totally clever. Way to mix things up a bit!