Wednesday, November 19, 2008

twilight/i am so bipolar

Once upon a time my sister told me to read this awesome book called Twilight. I did so, and loved it. Then all of a sudden everyone and their dog read this book, became engaged to Edward Cullen, and aspired to become a vampire when they grew up. What did I do? Continue to read the books... liking them less and less for reasons that I don't want to get into right now or all of my readers might just stop reading because I'm a hater or something. I'm not a hater, I just didn't want to be sucked into the abyss of 'team edward' and start fantasizing about being in love with someone who thinks I 'smell good' for reasons other than my shampoo... (Don't get me wrong, I dig the whole story line/vampire thing and Meyer's an insane story-teller/good writer. So as much as I whine... secretly I was excited for the next ones to come out.) 
 
(Actually it could be that I complain because I just hate Bella. Sorry, she drives me crazy. But Edward and his pure awesomeness kind of makes up for her un-awesomeness. Most of the time.)
 
For those that are still here I'll stop dissing your favorite book. Promise. And if you are still here (thanks!) I hope you'll still like me and maybe forgive me someday. 
Anyhoodle. As the fairy tale continues... somebody decided to ship this vampire business to Hollywood. The hype was already there when this was initially announced, but I think it finally got to me once Robert Pattinson was chosen as Edward. People started complaining (including me) about his un-Edward qualities only to realize that this kid is actually kind of hot and a good actor so 'let's just fall in love with him anyway!' and other sorts of blah blah blah. The whole teenage girl obsessed-ness was just a little much. So I didn't have high hopes - I thought it'd be just another teen movie. (No pun intended)
 
{PLUS, unless it's Lord of the Rings or Jane Austen goodness... I'm not always mucha fan of books-to-movies. That's kind of a lie, because actually a lot of my favorite movies came from books. It's just that somebody slaughtered the last three Harry Potter books and I've never forgiven them. (But I still want to see the sixth one regardless. Gives me a chance to critique it to death, explain in detail how many things they messed up to people who couldn't care less while boring them to tears with my nonsense. Yeah, I'm weird.) So basically I was expecting Twilight to be similar-ish.}
 
Anyway, my point is: I actually really kinda want to see the movie. I think they picked the right people for Bella/Edward and the clips/trailers I've seen seem to have a limited amount of cheese. (Very good.) And Robert Pattinson IS going to be good regardless of what I first thought. AND I dig the soundtrack. Totally sweet. But, um, guess what else? It kinda comes out tomorrow. And I'm kinda not in a position to see it for, like, six months. I didn't think I'd be unhappy about this (I was in a depression about missing Dark Knight at the time) but I'm actually way bummed! I mean... I could go see it in French... but that might just ruin it for me. So I don't think I'll be doing that.
 
Since 2006, I have gone back and forth from hating to loving twilight in the space of literally 60 seconds. This is a time where I love it. So, you don't have to hate me, okay? But if the movie blows, I might start hating it again. Hopefully that won't be the case. And peace out all of you people who are at the midnight showing. I'm sick with jealousy. Anyway, after you've seen the movie, please leave a comment telling me what you thought! Yay, nay, go, no go, hot, not etc. etc. (And don't worry silly, I already know how it ends!) And if you feel the need to express your extreme distaste for this post and call me names then I give you permission to do so. If you must. 

3 comments:

Megan Conrad said...

Thank you for not 'dissing my favorite book anymore...' haha okay, one of my favorites, but as we discussed, I knew it would be stupid, but they managed to exceed my expectations in that dept. And yeah... no good... Bella was better than Edward, and even she drove me a little crazy.... uh yesh... 4/10? Maybe the next couple of times I see it, it will seem better. I've heard that you just have to forget about the book to like it. Check out my cousin Jeana's blog for her review. haha:) loves

Megan Conrad said...

What!? I tried to put "You Found Me" on my blog too, but it didn't work out so hot for me... ARg... oh well.

Parkside View said...

Ha! I thought I was the only one who went through love-it/hate-it twilight phases. Right now I'm kindof "luke-warm" to the whole thing. I devowered (pun intended) the first three books in a matter of hours, but I refuse to crack open the final book. Maybe seeing the movie will change that (but I refuse to see the movie until it is at the $1.00 theater). I'm glad you share my feelings. I was worried that it was all just because I was getting old (gasp!).